[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board strategy

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Feb 19 17:17:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:42 AM, Joachim Strömbergson
<joachim at secworks.se> wrote:

> Aloha!
>
> Шатов Павел wrote:
>>> And just to make it easier for others to replicate what we do in
>>> order to build trust or try to contribute the tool becomes a
>>> problem if the cost serious dough.
>> Both ISE and Quartus are $2,995.
>
> Depends if you go node locked or not. Node locked Quartus is 1995 USD
> and floating is 3995 USD. And that is fairly serious dough if you are
> not planning to do a single board or so.
>

>> I mean that if we choose Altera's devices, we can develop Alpha Board
>> in such a way, that it will accept both A7 (largest device that is
>> available with free license) and A9 (largest available device). End
>> users can decide on their own what chip to solder.

So, how far can a floating license float? I find their licensing
information page unhelpful and was not able to find much detail, but I
*think* we could buy the primary verilog developers their own licenses
and then one or two floating seats, setup a license server and have
people who actually need to use a floating license VPN into a network
with the FLEXlm license server.
I don't know how many people would need to use the software *at the
same time*, but this might allow people who need to build on e.g A9
but do not have their own software to do so.

This may be a bad idea, the VPN idea might not work, their license
terms (which I couldn't find) may disallow this, etc but I figured
worth mentioning it.