[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board strategy

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Tue Feb 17 14:04:00 UTC 2015

Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 17 February 2015 at 12:39, Fredrik Thulin <fredrik at thulin.net>
> wrote:
>> Hi list
>>
>> Randy, Joachim, Leif and I had an ad-hoc conference call about how
>> to move forward with the Alpha board plans earlier today.
>>
>> I'm happy to say I think we are pretty much homing in on consensus
>> on what to do with this in the near term, and with what (kind of)
>> components.
>>
>> I made a wiki page with the things I think we've agreed on
>> earlier, or on this call. If you are interested in the Alpha board
>> then please have a look at this page and let me know if you think
>> it will fly with these plans or not.
>>
>> https://trac.cryptech.is/wiki/AlphaBoardStrategy
>
> Trying to figure out what an Altera C5GC7 is - do you have a link to
> the spec?

An Altera Cyclone 5G FPGA device:

http://www.altera.com/devices/fpga/cyclone-v-fpgas/cyv-index.jsp?utm_source=altera&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=cyclone5&utm_content=bottom

More specifically the C7 version:
http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_51001.pdf

This device provides 150k logic elements, which is a bit more than 2x
the amount provided by the Xilinx Spartan-6 LX45 on the Novena (if we
allow us to do some apples and pears comparison). We would like to have
the C9 device since it would give us headroom to handle all we think we
want to put in the FPGA with room to spare.

But the C7 is the biggest device we can design for without having to pay
a number of kUSD for tools. This would make it much harder for anybody
to recreate and build the alpha board.

We are therefore thinking of having one primary C7 wit interface to teh
CPU and then having pads, footprint for adding a second C7 connecting to
the primary CPU. Not optimal, but fairly flexible.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se