[Cryptech Tech] First hash via EIM

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri Feb 6 09:37:07 UTC 2015

Шатов Павел wrote:
> If we only have one single flag, say WriteEnable, then our core will
> write its registers when it is asserted and always read them
> otherwise. If we have a set of two flags, say WriteEnable and
> ChipSelect, or WriteEnable and ReadEnable, then our core can be idle
> when it is not accessed. This is generally a good practice, because
> it lowers power consumption a bit by not switching anything when it
> is not actually needed. Your cores do have cs input, which I believe
> is exactly for this purpose, so I added two output flags in the EIM
> arbiter. Having Read and Write is actually equivalent to having
> ChipSelect and Write, becase ChipSelect = Write | Read and Read =
> (ChipSelect & ~Write). You can modify EIM arbiter to output
> ChipSelect and Write instead of Read and Write if you want.

Exactly so and that is how I modified the core selector.

> You are completely right, Joachim, having at least a draft memory map
> is vital. If you remember, I've already proposed my variant, you can
> use it as a starting point. I'm only dealing with FPGA-related stuff,
> so it would be great if someone with a bigger picture of the project
> in his head could create a rough version of EIM memory map and place
> it somewhere on the website. This person should also be responsible
> for keeping this table up to date in case we change something. In
> Novena there are three additional address lines (A16-18). We are not
> using them right now actually. If you are afraid that we run out of
> address space, we can add them to our design.

Yes, your suggestion was good (having page zero for system info). I
think that if it is possible to increase the address space we should do
so right now. What would be the consequence in terms of access - you are
pushing 2+2 w16 for address anyway, or is it only one w16 word? That is,
if we move to more bits we need to do an extra write operation?

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se