[Cryptech Tech] First hash via EIM

Paul Selkirk paul at psgd.org
Wed Feb 4 19:38:44 UTC 2015

I ported hash_tester.c to the current novena design, because it seemed
the easiest thing to do at this point. Initial tests are satisfying -
there were *no* hashing failures, and performance looks good (without
any tuning):

TC4: Read name and version from SHA-256 core.
This just does 3 4-byte reads.
52276017 iterations in 187.356 seconds (279019.562 iterations/sec)
If we define an EIM operation as one read or write, then this is
837059 operations/sec

TC5: SHA-256 Single block message test as specified by NIST.
This does 16 4-byte writes to the block, then one write to the control
register. It does 2 reads of the status register (first time returns
busy, next time returns done), then it does 8 reads to get the digest,
so a total of 17 writes, 10 reads.
27957959 iterations in 601.631 seconds (46470.300 iterations/sec)
or 1254698 EIM operations/sec

TC6: SHA-256 Double block message test as specified by NIST.
This writes one block, writes init, reads status, reads the
intermediate digest, then repeats for the second block, so exactly
double the number of operations, or 34 writes, 20 reads.
9871382 iterations in 424.815 seconds (23236.894 iterations/sec)
or 1254792 EIM operations/sec

TC7: SHA-256 Huge message test.
This writes 1 block, writes the control register 1000 times, with 2
status reads in between, then reads 1 digest, so 1016 writes, 2008 reads.
309741 iterations in 777.014 seconds (398.630 iterations/sec)
or 1205457 EIM operations/sec.

OTOH, the 403 error on http[s] access seems to be related to my
pushes, somehow. Rob, please whack again, and let's try to get to the
bottom of this.

				paul