[Cryptech Tech] Alpha Avalanche Noise Block

Павел Шатов meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 13 23:51:56 UTC 2015

On 13.04.2015 9:55, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> I looked at the SEPIC converter you suggest (LTM8045EY) and thought maybe we
> need to talk about that choice a bit more. It is fairly expensive (Farnell US
> has it at $12.27 in single quantities) and while that may be acceptable at
> this point (having stable HIGH_V is also of course important to us) it also
> seems to only be available in BGA package?
>
> I think that is worse, since it means we can't really test it before getting
> the Alpha boards manufactured, and also can't use it in simpler units. How did
> you choose that exact part? Could we reasonably find another SEPIC converter
> with good enough vcc-noise properties but another package?

Fredrik, excuse me, I don't understand what simpler units you are
referring to. Alpha board is not going to be simple, it is going to be
complex. Our CPU and FPGA and RAM are all BGAs. If we can't avoid BGAs,
let's use them to our advantage then. Alpha is not going to be cheap,
because Artix-7 200T costs about $300. Because of that, I didn't think
that $12 power regulator was like very expensive.

Two-layer boards that you can etch and solder yourself are one story,
Alpha board is going to be completely different story. I don't think
that it is appropriate to pick same components for different types of
boards. If you need some regulator for you experiments, we can try to
find something in a more DIY-friendly package.

Speaking of DC/DC converters, they can be divided into three general
types. The first type includes bare controllers. They are very small and
cheap, because they contain only control circuitry, they require several
external components (power switch, inductor, diode, capacitors). They
are typically used when large output current is required. Since we need
only about 50 mA, we don't need this type of converter.

Converters of the second type have control circuitry and internal power
switches. They still require external inductor, diode and capacitors,
you also have to do some math to calculate required inductance value.
These converters require prototyping, because you must check that you've
selected appropriate inductor.

The third type of converter is a regulator module. Such converters have
built-in inductors and diodes, so they only require input and output
capacitors. LTM8045 is an example. I've suggested to use it, because it
is straightforward to use, you don't need to prototype it. It has PCB
layout example in the datasheet that will 100% work from the first
attempt. When I recommended this module, I thought, that paying a few
extra bucks would be better than dealing with inductors and diodes.

Anyway, as far as I understand, Joachim is back, so you're going to have
a meeting with BitSim guys soon. You can ask them about this issue. Tell
them, that besides digital components, you have sensitive analog
circuit, that requires stable +12V (probably higher) and draws about 50
mA. Let's listen to what they say.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov