[Cryptech Tech] CHES 2014 so far

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Fri Sep 26 17:53:33 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim,

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:

> * Yesterday there was a really good tutorial by Viktor Fischer about
> random number generators. Among the interesting things was the need to
> test entropy sources (esp FPGA internal ones such as our ROSC based one)
> with really good power supplies (or a battery). He and his team have
> seen entropy sources that seem to work on dev boards with cheap, noisy
> power supplies that fail in target systems.

that's why I use the LC filters all over the arrgh board.  Not as good
as a battery, but better than nothing.  And we've already had that
discussion on step-up converter vs. charge pump, too.

> Also he talked alot about on-line testing, test systems, the need for
> doing models etc.
>
> Finally he presented his PLL based entropy source that can be proven to
> work. We might want to look into that later on.

Right.  Is there some sort of paper on this available?  I'd just love to
take a closer look at all of this.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/