[Cryptech Tech] Noise board on Novena

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Wed Sep 24 06:28:25 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim and list,

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:

> Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
>> Now, I'm kind of unhappy with the "alive" pin; this implies that
>> there's still an MCU checking on the state of the noise interface.
>> But with the edge algorithm there shouldn't be much need for
>> that---you'll just notice that you don't get any more noise bits
>> from that if things fail.
>
> The "enabled" signal (if that is what you mean with "alive" pin) is
> internally in the fpga and is used to the the mixer that there will be
> data availabe from that specific entropy source (eventually) and
> therefore should be in the round, robin scheme. Unless you do the FPGA
> module part you should not have to consider it.

OK, I misread that as "there's an external pin where the noise/entropy
source signals if it is good or not".

One of these days I'll get used to talking about signals and such being
inside an FPGA and not just outside:-)

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/