[Cryptech Tech] Noise board on Novena

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Tue Sep 23 19:36:38 UTC 2014

Hi yet once more,

Fredrik Thulin <fredrik at thulin.net> writes:

> In an open design, there will always be the possibility for those with enough
> know-how to rip something out or plug something new in.

right, and to some degree we cater for these people.

> The needed know-how is significant if we are talking about making an entropy
> provider FPGA core that speaks to an external entropy source.

Which is another reason why I continue with the arrgh board: To address
people who are more comfortable with MCUS and only need a HWRNG/TRNG anyway.

For those who need a full-blown HSM however, there are only two options:
Trust somebody (us or whoever) with doing and checking the FPGA part, or
learning about FPGAs so they can check themselves.

> If we provide FPGA entropy providers who can talk one or more of these rather
> standard interface protocols with external entropy sources, that would be
> caring for a lot of people not capable of writing FPGA cores. Just sayin.

On the other hand we do make things much harder for the FPGA people if
we follow that path; and we expect them to be or make themselves
familiar with MCUs.

There's really no one-size-fits-all solution to this.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/