[Cryptech Tech] Flying with Novena

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sat Sep 20 10:51:41 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim and list,

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:

> I'm somewhat worried about flying with the Novena to CHES. I'm worried
> that it will break during the flight.

use lots of blister wrap, and don't even think about putting it in your
checked baggage.

> But also going through several security check-points (Helsinki, Osaka,
> Bushan and back via Seoul) with electronic boards, custom and modded
> boards, cables etc.

My experience to Stockholm was that it worked reasonably well: In
Frankfurt they went through the test strip routine (which they sometimes
also use on notebook computers), which took at most 10--15 minutes to
get done.  In Stockholm on the way back they didn't even bother.  If
you're lucky, and depending on your particular itinerary, you may only
have to deal with security at the first airport on either way.

Maybe you can call up the airline and ask them about it?  And how much
slack does your schedule offer with regard to dealing with this between
flight legs to deal with troubles like that?

> The TerasIC DE0-Nano can be placed in its own neat little padded box and
> will probably be ok to bring. But the Novena does not have a box and is
> not as tidy and might draw a lot of interest to it and the person
> bringing it.

If nothing else, make sure you bring some sort of additional material
(conference schedules, printouts from the various papers referred to
here on the list etc.) as backing material so you can make it plausible
that you're just going to a technical conference.

And telling them that the device is an expensive prototype not even
generally available to the public should give quite some credibility to
it.  After all, that's exactly what it is.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/