[Cryptech Tech] Noise board on Novena

Bill Cox waywardgeek at ciphershed.org
Thu Sep 18 14:34:28 UTC 2014

Awesome!  Would you guys welcome yet another TRNG board for this
platform?  I've ordered some parts and was going to prototype my
board-level infinite-noise-multiplier.  The original idea was designed
for ASIC implementations, and I think avalanche noise feeding a high
speed A/D is actually a better way to go for board-level high speed
TRNG generation, but I want to verify this design works with real
parts.  I'm guessing it will put out about 25-50Mbps of low-quality
random-ish bits (maybe 1/3 correlation between bits), but with
whitening it would be fine.

If such a board would be welcome, is there a place I can read about
developing boards for the Novena?

My other thought was putting it on a USB prototyping board, which
would be pretty fun, but I can't trust the security of what's on the
other end.

Thanks,
Bill

P.S.  My first attempt at a schematic for new board level design is
attached as an image of my drawing.  My Python simulation is also
attached.  On each edge of the clock, it multiplies the voltage on the
positive input to the Opamp by 1.9X.  The comparator tests to see if
it's over VCC/2, and if it is below, it multiplies relative to GND,
meaning the new range is between 0V and 0.95*VCC.  If it is above
VCC/2, the multiplication is relative to VCC, meaning the new range
will be VCC down to 0.05*VCC.  The output is the comparator value on
each clock.  The comparator has to have complementary CMOS output
driver that goes rail-to-rail.  I am a bit concerned that the
break-before-make timing in the switches could be mismatched.
Preferably that's one chip with matched switch timing, but I have some
single switch chips for my prototype.