[Cryptech Tech] Maurer's Universal Test for Randomness

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 15 13:03:39 UTC 2014

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:

>And this specific paper is used in a new industrial standard as a requirement
>for generating random numbers for cryptographic keys etc. I'm not the one
>suggesting nor recommending this.

Fair enough.  Also, if by "industrial standard" you mean "SCADA standard" then
I think a requirement for writing those is that you not have any crypto
knowledge beyond having once read Applied Cryptography.

(The people who create them mean well and know a lot about SCADA systems, but
tend to have a vendor-whitepaper view of crypto/security, I don't know how
many SCADA security standards I've looked at where I've had to tell potential
users that what the standard requires is illogical, doesn't exist in any known
implementation, or can't be implemented as specified).

Peter.