[Cryptech Tech] Status and dog & pony @ ches

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Thu Sep 11 21:27:16 UTC 2014

Ok, I've just added the mixer stage for the trng. The mixer can collect
entropy from three different entropy providers in strict round robin
order. The entropy providers can be enabled and disabled to allow
support for less than three providers. The mixer will generate as many
512 bit seeds as needed and pulls in 1024 bits from the sources in
between. (That means that with 2 sources enabled each has to provide 512
bits.)

Earlier today I completed the first version of the csprng part. The
csprng supports adjustable number of rounds and adjustable number of
blocks before reseeding. Reseeding can either be automatic or forced.
There is a fifo at the exit stage of the csprng to decouple cipher
processing from random number delivery to clients and allow a
contininous operation. I don't thing it will meet 1.6 Gpbs @ 50 MHz yet
but we should be able to pull 50-100 MByte/s from it.

For being a first iteration I think we have some pretty cool,
substantial functionality. There are tons of things to add in terms of
ability to observe the trng, test it in situ, get testbenches that
checks all corners etc. But the big parts are there.

This alls means that the major parts of the first version of the trng is
done. What I need to do tomorrow is connect the csprng and the mixer and
then hook up an API and at least one entropy source. And then add
something like coretest to be able to use the trng. This will probably
take the whole of tomorrow.

The problem I see with the timeplan now is lack of problem solving time
to be able to get the Novena up and running, getting the trng+coretest
onto the FPGA on the Novena, get Fredriks noise source connected and
then get SW running. I only have basically next Thursday and Friday
before CHES and that might be too little time.

Just as a headsup.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se