[Cryptech Tech] trng ready for play

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Thu Oct 16 13:57:31 UTC 2014

Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> I think you will agree if I state the problem like this: "as soon as
> the mixer requests entropy faster than the entropy providers can
> provide it, the mixer will loose sooner or later" - right?

Yes. And we can reduce the risk of this happening by adding FIFOs to
reduce problems caused by short term variance. Today I don't have them
since it adds complexity.

But if the mixer requests more data that an entropy source can provide
for arbitrarily long time, no FIFO will help.

But if we step back and look at the application, this means that
somebody is basically want to reseed the CSPRNG _all the time_ (every 16
bytes of 32-bit random data or so). And that must be considered a
misconfiguration and not realistic.

> I think there might be other recovery strategies worth considering,
> but I think it would be a good idea to start with something simple.

I'm sort of back to having a single timeout value in combination with an
alarm up the stack. And then add fifos in the entropy providers with
room enough to provide enough data to generate seed of the csprng. With
two entropy providers this comes down to 1024 kbit big fifos, i.e. a
fifo with 32 words depth. probably a bit overkill since the fifos will
be fed new data while the mixer pulls. But this should make the mixer
inpud data creating always complete in 2x32xn cycles (n = 2 or so). 2-3
microseconds or so.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se