[Cryptech Tech] EIM: mostly working

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Fri Nov 7 21:42:40 UTC 2014

Am Freitag, 7. November 2014, 16:31:17 schrieb Paul Selkirk:
> novena_eim uses synch reset because that's how Bunnie wrote it (and I
> don't really understand the implications of changing it). My other
> novena projects just tie the reset line.

This is about timing of the reset. With a synchronous reset, you synchronize
the reset line internally, and then you have a timing constraint of one clock
cycle for the reset to work (especially reset deassertion has this one clock
cycle constraint).

This can be tough, as the reset goes everywhere.

If you use an async reset, you do the synchronisation the other way round: you
block the clock until after reset is gone, and then wait for some further
clock cycles to release the clock.  This is in a central place, and the
additional clock delay from the releas e time doesn't matter: Reset is already
deasserted.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/