[Cryptech Tech] Cryptech ticket system is live

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Thu Nov 6 14:02:17 UTC 2014

At Thu, 06 Nov 2014 09:10:08 +0100, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:

> Have you tested if the commit messages get parsed in relation to the
> ticketing system?

If I did, it was long enough ago that test is no longer relevant.  So
yes, I need to test that, and should also enable the masterticket
module while I'm at this, so that we can record tickets depending on
other tickets in a sane way.

> It _should_ work.

Certainly does with Subversion, used it heavily on rpki.net.  Not 100%
certain that Trac's git integration is up to this, may take a bit of
experimentation, but there should be breadcrumbs out there.

> Imho one of the good features of Trac is that you can point to
> issues and revisions between commits and issues.

Agreed.

Non-obvious Trac ticket system basics, for those who haven't used it
much before:

- Wrap things like compiler warnings that you want preserved verbatim
  in {{{ and }}} markers, so that Trac knows not to reformat, to add
  horizontal scroll bar, etc.  See Trac doc for #! tags one can use to
  get pretty syntax highlighting, but remembering the {{{ and }}} are
  the main thing to prevent unreadable glorp.

- You can reference specific with [revision], where "revision" is
  specific to the version control system: with git it's the SHA-1
  commit object hash, in either short or long form.

- You can reference tickets in commit messages with #ticketnumber,
  where "ticketnumber" is, um, the ticket number.

- The hack to which Joachim is referring above is a hook that has Trac
  scanning commit messages looking for certain magic keywords, and
  interpreting those keywords as actions on existing tickets.

- Tickets use Trac Wiki syntax, including Trac links, including Trac
  links to Wiki pages, the Trac source code browser, etc.

- The Wiki can refer to tickets and commits using [revision] and
  #ticketnumber syntax.

- The email interface to the ticket system is a bit whacky.  It's
  useful primarily as a notification system and to let one make brief
  anything complicated it's usually best to use the web interface.

All of this (and a lot more) is in the Trac documentation that's
included in every Trac Wiki, but the above are probably the most
critical bits.