[Cryptech Tech] Verilog book recommendations?

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sun Nov 2 20:07:18 UTC 2014

(Pushing this to @tech. We might get good suggestions from others.)

Rob Austein wrote:
> For various reasons, I've concluded that it's probably time for me
> to learn Verilog.  I've done some online reading, but I usually do
> better with dead trees.  Technical books tend to be expensive, but
> when compared with hourly rates, if a book saves me two hours, it's
> probably worth it.  Any recommendations?

Digital Design (Verilog): An Embedded Systems Approach Using Verilog by
Peter Ashenden is one of the better ones. You can get a papervack
version for sub 20 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Design-Verilog-Embedded-Approach/dp/0123695279

It should cover Verilog 2001.

There are also quite a few intro presentations as well as best practice
coding styles (which I try to follow). Clff Cummings and Stu Sutherland
are two really good educators that are are also involved in the
development of the language. Both has good papers and presentations on
their websites:

Cliff:
http://www.sunburst-design.com/papers/

Stu:
http://www.sutherland-hdl.com/

The Verilog 2001 reference guide by Stu is always on my hard drive:
http://sutherland-hdl.com/online_verilog_ref_guide/verilog_2001_ref_guide.pdf

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se