[Cryptech Tech] fyi: Trusted Design in FPGAs

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Wed May 28 23:56:33 UTC 2014

of possible interest (tho YMMV (I sorta randomly ran across this just now))..

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-1-4419-8080-9_9

chapter in "Introduction to Hardware Security and Trust"
2012, pp 195-229:

Trusted Design in FPGAs
Mehrdad Majzoobi, Farinaz Koushanfar, Miodrag Potkonjak

Abstract

Reconfigurable hardware is by far the most dominant implementation platform
in terms of the number of designs per year. During the past decade, security
has emerged as a premier design metrics with an ever increasing scope. Our
objective is to identify and survey the most important issues related to
FPGA security. Instead of insisting on comprehensiveness, we focus on a
number of techniques that have the highest potential for conceptual
breakthroughs or for the practical widespread adoption. Our emphasis is on
security primitives (PUFs and TRNGs), analysis of potential vulnerabilities
of FPGA synthesis flow, digital rights management, and FPGA-based applied
algorithmic cryptography. We also discuss the most popular and a selection
of recent research directions related to FPGA-based security platforms.
Specifically, we identify and discuss a number of classical and emerging
exciting FPGA-based security research and development directions.