[Cryptech Tech] How to start using coretest_hashes on the TerasIC C5G Board

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Mar 23 04:15:02 UTC 2014

[ klutzich end abuser report ]

for the moment, i mounted the macosx test_coretest_hashes directory in
win7-64

> The USB-serial chip on the board is a FTDI FT232R [3]. If your host OS
> does not have support for this device you will need to install
> drivers.

VCP or D2XX?  i guessed d2xx, installed, and restarted win7

> Select coretest and press 'Open'. (Note: Quartus omits the .v suffix
> for the file.)

it shows the .v on win7.

> Navigate to sha1/src/rtl and add the files
             ^cores/

> In the 'Available Devices' list select: 5CGXFC5C6F27C7

i know it's in the alteraware, but this desperately needs a search
function

> The result from this generic build should be a FPGA configuration that
> uses 3666 registers, 2846 ALMs, 12 pins and can run at 88.3 MHz in
> worst case temperature and timing

Info (293000): Quartus II Full Compilation was successful. 0 errors, 13 warnings

> Navigate to coretest_hashes/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g

i think you mean test_coretest_hashes/cores/coretest_hashes/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g

> An easier way is to open up the file coretest_hashes.qsf in toolruns
> and add the pin assignment above.

the pin assignments were already in the file

> An easier way is to open up the file coretest_hashes.qsf in toolruns
> and add the pin assignment above. If you then open up the Assignments
> Editor the same definitions should be shown.

actually, for me, it was Assignments / ImportAssignments

> If you haven't turned on the C5G board and connected the board to the
> computer Quartus is installed on, do so now

ok, the power connector is pretty obvious.  but maybe you should give
more of a hint about "connect the board to the computer."

i connected a usb cable to the usb blaster port of the board.  i said
connect it to windows.

> In the Window you should see 'USB-blaster'. If not you need to fix the
> drivers for the USB-blaster in your OS.

and i do not see it.  the blinking lights on the board are beautiful but
i am stalled here

randy