[Cryptech Tech] Open JavaCard platform

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sat Mar 15 07:21:50 UTC 2014

Martin Paljak wrote:
> Now (today) I stumbled upon this project. I still have some reading
> to do, but I would be very interested in collaborating with anyone
> who thinks that fully open trusted code platform would be useful to
> the community.
>
> Has anyone thought about opening the platform up for 3rd party
> applications? What would you think of JavaCard as an option?

I would say that third party applications is what Cryptech is all about.
We are creating a platform to allow anybody to build their own HWM -
whatever application that HSM would support.

To have something to drive functionality development, we have a small
set of first target applications. But they are not the final and only
applications - more like reference designs.

Supporting JavaCard _should_ be possible. We are currently starting to
look at layer interfaces

 - Between the FPGA hardware and low level SW running on the CPU
core/MCU connected to the FPGA.

 - Between the SW on the CPU core/MCU and the rest of the world.

Any input on functionality, data structures, exchanges etc needed to
support JavaCard would be great input. And whatever else you see would
be important and you want to help out with to create a trustable, open HSM.

Welcome!

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se