[Cryptech Tech] Another work package: PN entropy source

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Thu Mar 13 07:56:28 UTC 2014

Thanks for two good days of meetings.

I would like to suggest another work package to add to the list:

Design of a PN avalanche noise entropy source.

The entropy source should be designed in such a way that it is easy to
implement, compact in terms of footpring and number of components, cheap
and robust in the sense that it shall be easy for anybody to implement a
working entropy source that can be connected to a entropy provider core
in the Cryptech TRNG. (Yes, Randy - I think you are right that the
correct term is probably provider ;-)

The design in the work package probably includes the A/D converter.

The work package includes doing the electronic design, implement it on a
board (for example an Arduino Shield breadboard), test it and write
documentation including results from long term testing. The output
includes schematics, bill of materials user guidelines as well as FPGA
core and sw to allow somebody to extract raw entropy and assess the
quality of the source.

FredrikT has been collecting a lot of information on available on this
type of entropy source. On the meeting Fredrik showed me some very
interesting long term measurements that shows that a PN source quality
can vary over time. Also Fredrik pointed out that most designs does not
adjust bias levels to keep the PN junction in a state where a lot of
noise is created. Finally Fredrik has acquired components needed to
start building these sources himself.

For that reason I think Fredrik is an excellent candidate to do this
work package (if he is interested - which I think he is). Also since
dol@ has been talking a lot of how PN noise is the only usable, real
source of entropy, I hope he will assist in providing guidance and
recommendations on what to consider when designing, implementing and
evaluating a really good PN entropy source.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se