[Cryptech Tech] Good read on libraries and APIs for cryptographic functions

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Thu Jun 19 15:05:15 UTC 2014

At Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:58:36 +0200, Joachim Strömbergson wrote:

> As an intro to the discussions and work on defining APIs between the
> lower layer of the Cryptech cake, this report on NaCl might be worth
> reading:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/highspeed/coolnacl-20120725.pdf

What little research I've done on this so far had been leading me to
investigate (not done yet) Peter Gutmann's cryptlib as a possible
source for both code (eg, ASN.1 stuff that it doesn't make sense to do
in Verilog) and overall API architecture.  I like the general model
he's using; my main concern is how heavily he depends on threading
abstractions, as they tend to be a rather expensive solution in the
embedded world (one could argue that adding threads is where an
embedded package makes the jump from "library" to "operating system").

But I will look at Dan's stuff, thanks.