[Cryptech Tech] RNG test tools wiki page

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Thu Jul 31 12:45:21 UTC 2014

Am Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2014, 10:23:10 schrieb Benedikt Stockebrand:
> Hi folks,
>
> since this seems to be a topic where several of you wished some
> documentation on, I've put a page into the documentation on testing the
> randomness of some *RNG output at
>
>     https://wiki.cryptech.is/wiki/RandomnessTesting
>
> I haven't yet covered ent (which I consider rather difficult to
> interpret correctly), but dieharder and rngtest already give a decent
> combo of tests anyway.

A note for the dieharder tests: Non-deterministic inputs (that's what we are
interested in!) still give non-deterministic outputs.  That means, all those
test results do vary, and must vary.  Dieharder's tests are weighted in a way
that the chance of missing it with normal randomness is 1/1000.  Given that
dieharder has a lot of tests, and you are going to test it with a lot of data
(again and again), you should simply expect to have that failure rate.

IMHO, dieharder -a should collect all the results and do a chi-square tests on
them, because if the data is random, and the weighting is correct, the results
should all be distributed with a known distribution.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/