[Cryptech Tech] User auditable hardware entropy source/random number generator

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Thu Jul 24 19:39:29 UTC 2014

Hi Fredrik and list,

Benedikt Stockebrand <bs at stepladder-it.com> writes:

> Fredrik Thulin <fredrik at thulin.net> writes:
>
>> On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:11:30 AM Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
>> [...]
>> Right. I tested a BC337 from my scrap box too, but IIRC there was at least
>> higher amplitude noise from the 2N3904.
>
> I've got hold of some of them by now---and another set of "magic"
> Zeners---and I'll give them a try as soon as possible.

For me the 2N3904 didn't work as well as the BC337-16 throughput-wise,
but they do work---which is good, because it gives us another option.
And while re-reading this: What gain class BC337 did you use? I've had
way worse results with a BC337-40 than with the BC337-16.

However here's the real fun thing: I've just hooked up the new "magic"
Zeners to my scope (I wouldn't want to hand them out and hear that they
behave entirely differently than the ones I've used so far:-) and I got
these results: