[Cryptech Tech] Use case for AES-192?

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Mon Jul 21 21:44:48 UTC 2014

Am Montag, 21. Juli 2014, 16:38:38 schrieb Russ Housley:
> I do not know anyone that is making use of AES-192, but AES-128 and AES-256
> are in heavy use.

SSL has AES-192 as option, but you don't have to implement all the gazillion
options SSL suggests.  People use either AES-128 (me, Google), or AES-256
(others).  There's a reason for preferring AES-128 over AES-256.

From a cryptanalytic point of view, this 2009 blog posting from Bruce Schneier
is worth to read:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/another_new_aes.html

Effectively, AES has not the security margin it would neet to meet its
promises (especially with AES-256).  The bottom line is that AES-128 has a
sufficiently good key schedule, while AES-256 has a bad key schedule, and
breaking it is possible with the order of 2^100 (this is too big to allow a
practicable attack).  That means: If you decide today, use AES-128 instead of
AES-256.  AES-192 is indeed rarely used, people either think "let's take the
biggest number" or "let's take the fastest operation".

So I would say that if you have to implement AES support, AES-128 is a must,
and the other two are optional with AES-256 perceived as more important, and
AES-192 actually being the more secure one (at least as far as we know today).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/