[Cryptech Tech] User auditable hardware entropy source/random number generator

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Thu Jul 10 10:23:28 UTC 2014

Hi Randy and list,

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> writes:

> our european friends are already on holiday, so do not expect a lot of
> immediate response.

no worries, this stuff is slow business anyway---it takes about 9 days
to generate enough test data to feed it through a full dieharder run.
And I am already working on some improved circuitry, too.

> i do know that, for the moment, at least joachim has been focused
> toward an on-chip entropy source.

OK, since we're already hitting that topic: I am absolutely serious
about making this design auditable to an individual enthusiast.  I do
have doubts that an entirely on-chip solution is the way to go for a
proper entropy source at least with respect to that, but I'd honestly
love to be proven wrong on this.

Anyway, for starters I've taken the way less ambitious road and decided
to limit myself to a HWRNG.

> fredrik may take up off-chip sourcing, but maybe not while there is
> sunshine in sweden. :)

Well, it's never wrong to prepare for the dark times ahead:-)

> but i am sure everyone is, or will be, interested in seeing your work.

I'll write up more details as soon as I get a chance (this is really a
spare time thing for me, and while I'm currently not in a project this
is eventually bound to change).  Documentation will be essential on this
anyway, so I might as well do it early and see if my ideas are sound
enough to be expressed on paper.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/