[Cryptech Tech] Some thoughts and questions on the RNG strategy

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri Feb 7 12:18:23 UTC 2014

Randy Bush wrote:
>> good source 1 ---> ChaCha ------+ +----> randomness good source 2
>> ---> DRBG-CTR ----+
>
> to repeat smb's question, has there been a good output analysis of
> these two?

Yes. I can dig up tests of DRBG-CTR, but there are quite a few of those.
It basically comes down to analysis of the CTR-mode.

For ChaCha, see one of the previous mails this morning. That I wrote
then was:

The reason for suggesting ChaCha is that it is based in Salsa20, which
has been analyzed quite a lot through the eSTREAM project (where it was
selected as one of the ciphers in the portfolio). And also because it
has been designed to have little side channel leakage and is very fast
even in slow and cheap FPGA chips.

IACR ePrint Archive lists only two papers with analysis on ChaCha:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/065
http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/472

And then of course DJB provides some analysis himself:
http://cr.yp.to/chacha.html

My take on the state of ChaCha is that it is fairly well analyzed and
has provenance from Salsa20, HAIFA and the ARX constructions that makes
it pretty trustworthy. That is why we are proposing it as a replacement
for RC4 in TLS:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mavrogiannopoulos-chacha-tls/

But again - we as a team must decide on what we will use as CSPRNG.
DRBG-CTR based on AES-256 is a good choice.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se