[Cryptech Tech] Dieharder results for Cryptech RNG data

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Tue Dec 30 14:35:07 UTC 2014

Hi Joachim and list,

Joachim Strömbergson <joachim at secworks.se> writes:

> First run with dieharder on the data from the Cryptech RNG.

just two questions:

  - What options did you run dieharder with exactly?

  - What was the test set size? 200+ MB?  That's a long way short of
    what you need for reliable results; if you did the full run, that
    rgb_lagged_sum with ntuples==15 looks really bad.

That said, I guess we really need more specific tools (and
methodologies) for RNG testing.  Pretty much all the existing tests are
kind of re-purposed non-crypto-grade PRNG tests and don't really help
that much.

I've got a couple ideas on how to tackle this, but before I start to
code things I'd actually like to think it over, and talk it over with
you next week as well.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/