[Cryptech Tech] New testdata

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Wed Dec 24 12:05:30 UTC 2014

Russ Housley wrote:
>>> I do not accept this explanation.  I would accept this if the
>>> repeated bytes were not _always_ proceeded by the same byte
>>> value two bytes before the repeat.  There do not seem to be
>>> repeats without this pattern.
>> I see repeats in the data without this pattern too. In data from
>> rosc, avalanche, OS X and Linux. Have you tested with other data?
>> The exact type of pattern is present in other data too.
>
> I have only tested the rosc data.

Ok. I have tested with the two sets of rosc data, and as reference
compared with the data collected for the avalanche entropy source as
well as data collected for the built in random generators in OSX as well
as in Linux. I get the same frequency. 0.00015.

Furthermore, if I count the number of pairs of equal bytes that are not
proceeded by an equal byte two bytes away I get the frequency 0.003885.
So there are clearly repeated bytes not always proceeded by an equal
byte two bytes away in the rosc data. Aren't you seeing these pairs?

Analyzed file: /Users/js/tmp/rosc_data_btsyn/rosc_entropy_2014-12-18.bin
Total number of bytes: 160000000
Number of patterns:    2372
Pattern frequency:     0.000015
Number byte pairs:     621670
Pair frequency:        0.003885

Not trying to be defensive, just trying to understand if we are chasing
a ghost, if we are reacting to patterns that actually should be expected
given enough data. Or if there is a problem. And if so, how bad it is
for the entropy source.

Before leaving for Christmas I stared up a long extraction run of data
from the output of the complete TRNG to see if we have a good generator
or not. Should appear in the btsync folder on the 27:th or so.

Merry Christmas!

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se