[Cryptech Tech] tribyte pattern in rosc data

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon Dec 22 08:34:45 UTC 2014

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 04:07:21 PM Russ Housley wrote:
> The pattern appeared 31 times in the first 40,000,000 bits.  I did not look
> any further.  So, it is appearing every million bits or so.
>
> Russ

Hi Russ and list

I tested Joachims tri-byte analyzing script on my avalanche noise entropy data
and strangely enough, it yielded a frequency of 0.000015 more or less the same
as the ring oscillator output. That made me re-think what I believe should be
the expected frequency:

If you have a dice with 256 sides, the probability to roll the same number
twice in a row is 1 / 256. The probability to roll a pre-determined number
(say 256) twice in a row would be 1 / 65536, but since we are just looking for
two equal numbers following each other it would happen with a probability of 1
/ 256.

Thus, the probability to roll the dice matching the patterns you saw should
actually be 1 / 65536 (0.00001525) if I'm doing the maths correctly this time
=).

31 times in the first 5,000,000 bytes (40M bits) is 0.00000620 which I don't
think should be tripping any Consecutive Value Test. What is your
implementations expectations for this test? Are we actually looking at the
right bytes here or could the test for example have noticed bit patterns but
show byte output?