[Cryptech Tech] Entropy source delivered

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sat Aug 23 13:52:46 UTC 2014

Hi Bernd and list,

Bernd Paysan <bernd at net2o.de> writes:

> Hm, can you dump and make available the raw edges, i.e. in a form of (n cycles
> high/m cycles low) for analysis why you have to throw away so many? With 130k-
> edges/s and taking only 1 bit per edge, feeding into a von Neumann extractor
> should still give you ~60-70kbit/s.

hmm, no: That's an average four bits of input per bit of output with the
von Neumann extractor.

> Benedict takes 1 bit per every 4th edge (due to microcontroller
> limitations), so that's why he ends up with 20kbit/s after the von
> Neumann extractor.

That's 20 kByte/s (with the magic Zeners), or 160 kbit/s; the BC337-16's
I've used for the batch of boards get me less, around 90--120 kbit/s.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/