[Cryptech Tech] Avalanche noise test boards

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 19 13:13:57 UTC 2014

Bernd Paysan <bernd at net2o.de> writes:

>They aren't ignored, it's just they are fed through Yarrow instead of
>directly passed to the reader of /dev/random.

Oh, I see.  From the discussion last year I thought they just ignored it, but
on re-reading the Ars Technica article it's not that bad.  Feeding it into a
PRNG makes sense, although /dev/random is itself a PRNG and was designed to
take input from less-than-perfect sources, so the situation probably wasn't
that dire to begin with.  Still, preprocessing with Yarrow gets my grunt of
approval :=).

Peter.