[Cryptech Tech] ASIC implementation page on wiki

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Wed Aug 13 17:23:52 UTC 2014

Am Mittwoch, 13. August 2014, 11:52:14 schrieb Joachim Strömbergson:
> Aloha!
>
> I've just added a brief text about what a possible ASIC implementation
> of the Cryptech design will entail. Comments and suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> https://trac.cryptech.is/wiki/ASICImplementations

Some comments:

* Memories - in an FPGA design, you can let the synthesis tool choose your
memory blocks from an RTL description - and that's the right way to do.  ASIC
process flows don't work that way (they don't choose memory blocks).  Good
design is to wrap the memory up in one Verilog module, so you can replace that
for the ASIC design.

* Synchronous/asynchronous reset: Both Altera and Xilinx flip-flops offer
asynchronous reset.  Use it.  It will help porting to an ASIC.  You might want
to gate your clock with the reset so that reset edge/clock edge timing
problems disappear.  In an ASIC you implement a clock driver which starts
after the reset goes away - problem solved.

* Avalanche diode noise: Depending on the process options, it might be
possible to have an internal avalanche diode.  This sort of diodes are often
part of the ESD structures in IO pins, so with some knowledge of the process,
you just can use that.  In a power management capable process, you can also
include the stuff for the step-up converter (excluding coils and capacitors,
of course).

* Ring oscillator: I'm pretty sure the adder-based ring oscillator will
produce a working oscillator on an ASIC, with somewhat similar noise
characteristics, as the carry chain in the FPGA is just a "hardcoded" carry
chain, i.e. about the same thing you would do in an ASIC.  Of course, the
resulting circuit has to be characterized, and hand-layouted ring oscillators
can do better (and a lot smaller - a few inverters instead of several full
adders).

Ways to obtain tools:

* Get Cadence/Synopsys to sponsor the tools for that project

* Cooperate with a fab with design center services (those do have the tools
available)

* Cooperate with an university which has the tools and connections to fabs.

Having worked in the semiconductor industry for quite some time, the best
contact I have is to TowerJazz, with one of my former bosses ending up as the
European sales director there.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/