[Cryptech Tech] today's notes

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Wed Aug 6 09:00:58 UTC 2014

Hi Fredrik and list,

Fredrik Thulin <fredrik at thulin.net> writes:

> * I think we reached a satisfying conclusion of how Benedikt would
> license his Arrgh RNG design, but I will let him speak about that.

right, but for completeness sake:

As far as I am concerned I had assumed that the entire idea of
auditability already implied that what we work on would have to be open
source/design/... by nature.  So as far as I was concerned this was
really just a matter of how to avoid wasting time sorting out any
incompatibilities between licenses.

Concerning BSD-style license (with slightly differences between NORDUNET
and original BSD licenses), we talked about the risk of third parties
using our design, making their derived works non-auditable one way or
another, and selling the results abusing our work in establishing a
trustworthy reputation as a marketing vehicle.

Our conclusion so far was that should be taken care of using trademark
related means, not license.  Using some sort of viral clause in the
license may also be an option, but it looks like we have a rough
consensus that we rather avoid to get that ersatz religion reputation
that the GPL has.

Anyway, this isn't set in stone, so if anyone has any kind of issue---or
more experience---with the legal details etc., please speak up.
Eventually we'll have to get this straight anyway.

> * As we discussed on Monday, I'm working on the first SPI enabled external
> entropy source. I've ordered (and got!) rev 01 of a prototype board but I'm
> away for a couple of days. Will let you all know when I have some real
> progress there.

Right, and while you're at it: At some point it would be nice at some
point to provide some sort of protocol specification on how to do this
over SPI; I may have some future ideas on this and it would be stupid if
we made things unnecessarily incompatible.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/