[Cryptech Tech] Roadmap & remarks about the opportunity of developing a secure TOR router on the Novena platform.

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri Aug 1 15:17:18 UTC 2014

Thanks for good comments and thoughts.

★ STMAN ★ wrote:
> As you requested me, here are my comments and remarks about a
> Roadmap and « What would happen if we wanted to develop a secure TOR
> Router on the Novena as is » :
>
> Indeed there are other facts that you must know about the Novena and
> the problems that would rise to build a secure TOR EndPoint (With 1
> dedicated Ethernet port), or a secure TOR router / firewall (With 2
> dedicated Ethernet Ports):
>
> In order to use it as a prototyping/development platform, I am now
> convinced it is not the best choice to have :

Do you see it as not useful even for development purpose?

We do also develop the Cryptech HW using dedicated FPGA boards like the
TerasIC C5G board. For Tor this might be a more suitable solution where
we can lock down the FPGA configuration, provide local physical and
electrical mechanisms that blocks remote tampetering (and local tamper
detect).

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=830

The board is not equipped with any Ethernet interfaces, but these can be
added using a separate extension board. Either one we design ourselves
or using a ready made (if that is ok):

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=71&No=355

For the SW/control part we can either add a separate CPU/MCU or include
a CPU core in the FPGA design.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se