[Cryptech Tech] Work package suggestion: Cryptech on Novena

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Mon Apr 7 07:22:15 UTC 2014

I would like to propose another work package: Cryptech on Novena.

The package includes HW, SW as well as documentation parts.

The main goal is to get the Cryptech HW running on the Novena board and
allow userland SW (running in Debian Linux) to perform high speed
operations using our own cores in the Xilinx FPGA.

There are some code developed by Bunnie and Cross but we also need a
suitable HW interface in the FPGA, a Xilinx ISE project with constraints
as well as drivers and example SW code. All packaged and documentet to
allow anybody else with a Novena board to easily start assembling their
own HSM HW and use it from userland SW.

I imagine developing some sort of 32-bit mux/demux + command handler
core (based on or similar to the coretest core). Possibly with support
for command buffers to allow a SW descriptor to send multiple commands.

One or more cores (sha256, sha512 for example) should then be jacked
into this core and a complete FPGA configuration created.

On the SW we need EIM drivers. There are some today but their status
needs to be investigated. This part probably needs coordination with
Huang and Cross.

We then need headers, data structures and functions that allows a
userland application to use the FPGA HW efficiently. This part overlaps
the ABI work package.

Finally, some well written userland application that shows how to use
the cores to do crypto work should be developed.

And everything should then be documented and tested by somebody else to
ensure that a third party can take the results from the work package and
use it to build a Cryptech HSM application on the Novena board.

This work package should and probably will also contribute back to the
Novena project.

This should be a fun and challenging work package me thinks.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se