[Cryptech Core] Input to NGI_trust presentation?

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at assured.se
Thu Mar 5 07:55:47 UTC 2020

Aloha!

Thank you Paul, a great summary.

For comparison the SafeNet USB HSM perform about 60 RSA-2048
signatures/s. If we could get the 180 MHz clock speed to work we should
be in the 50+ range. So fairly close to a commercial machine with
similar interfaces.

https://safenet.gemalto.com/data-encryption/hardware-security-modules-hsms/usb-hsm/

BR,
JoachimS

On 2020-03-04 21:00, Paul Selkirk wrote:
> (Copied to core@ because I think it's a matter of general interest.)
>
> Here are a few performance numbers from recent work.
>
> The following table is signatures/second, using
> libhal/tests/parallel-signatures.py, 2048-bit key, 1000 signatures per
> run, with 1-4 signers.
>
>         releng      clocking    modexpng    ng + keywrap
> 1:       6.924       8.106      10.815      13.358
> 2:      11.660      13.450      16.302      22.188
> 3:      14.898       9.836       7.095      25.696
> 4:       7.865       6.848       4.975      25.688
>
> releng: from 2019-09-03 releng tarball
> clocking: Pavel's clocking work (90MHz FPGA, 45MHz FMC)
> modexpng: Pavel's modexpng core (clocked at 90MHz)
> ng + keywrap: modexpng + Joachim's keywrap core
>
> Note that, in all cases, the bitstream is minimally resourced: 1 pair of
> modexpa7 cores and/or 1 modexpng core for signing, 1 AES core and/or 1
> keywrap core for key wrap/unwrap.
>
> In particular, note that there is a regression going from "releng" to
> "clocking" with >2 signers. I believe this is because of excessive
> contention for the one AES core for key unwrap. This is made worse by
> the fact that the clocking changes reduced the FMC clock while
> increasing the FPGA clock, and the "old" keywrap spends a lot of its
> time pushing data back and forth across the FMC bus.
>
> Anyway, I don't know how you want to report this. We can show a
> performance increase of 2x or 3x, depending on how you pick the numbers.
>
> BTW, Pavel built and tested modexpng with an internal clock of 180MHz; I
> wasn't able to get that to meet timing, so my tests were all with a
> 90MHz modexpng. I did recently fix the driver to take advantage of the
> hardware blinding factor mutation, but I haven't addressed the
> byte-swapping issues. Point being that we should be able to squeeze more
> performance out of this core without a lot of trouble.
>
> 				paul

Joachim Strömbergson
                               Assured AB