[Cryptech Core] All those commits to core/cipher/aes

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Thu Jan 10 16:15:31 UTC 2019

In case anybody is wondering what was going on with multiple copies of
the same old AES commits reported on the commits at cryptech.is list:

Some time ago, Joachim forked the core/cipher/aes repository as a
starting point for core/cipher/aes_speed.  We later concluded that
this should have been a branch rather than a fork, so that he could
merge the result back in as a replacement for the old code.

Well it turns out that one can indeed repair this sort of thing after
the fact in git, it's just a bit involved, particularly when dealing
with signed commits in repositories forked by copying files rather
than cloning the original, thus having no commit objects in common.
The repair worked fine, but necessarily generated new commit objects
with the old content, hence all the email to the commits@ list.

Details of the repair job are in the merge commit that's the current
HEAD of the core/cipher/aes repository.  I also pushed all of the
original commits from core/cipher/aes_speed to core/cipher/aes (yes,
one can do this) in case anybody feels a need to confirm that I did
not in fact change anything with all this git voodoo, which in turn
generated even more email.

So all is well, just a very noisy day.  Sorry about the noise.