[Cryptech Core] info about commons conservancy

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Sep 28 11:31:36 UTC 2018

Leif Johansson wrote:
> > But for CrypTech I consider it a showstopper that Guido chose to work
> > on an Internet voting project.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Are there any other topics that are haram?

Of course. I think each one of us can mention several showstopper topics,
and I guess that some topics would be more common among us than others.

But trying to create exhaustive requirements doesn't seem useful.
CrypTech doesn't "find a home" very frequently so I think we can and
should afford case-by-case consideration.

> 2. How far back in time does the fatwa extend?

It isn't back in time as long as he wants to advertise it, but present day.

People change, but when a quick web security poke finds elementary design
and implementation flaws in a proprietary electronic voting system and
you advertise involvement with that system some ten years later within
an open source governance context then you probably haven't changed
your mind about that old project yet.

Since you know him I think you can have very good influence.

If he were to review that choice now, ten years after the fact,
then what's an appropriate "recovery" period? Good question.

For me that would depend a lot on what he would choose to work on
and advertise over the coming years.

That's not so relevant for CrypTech<->Conservancy however. The
Conservancy still placed him on their board, that's the point, and
the practical purpose of IPR management and/or governance for
CrypTech remains unclear to me.

//Peter