[Cryptech Core] info about commons conservancy

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Sep 28 09:15:46 UTC 2018

Stephen Farrell wrote:
> > As I read more around the Conservancy site I also see that all finances
> > must be handled by NLnet, making the practical purpose of the Conservancy
> > unclear, in addition to the credibility concern.
> >
> > It looks like unneccessary association.
>
> IIUC, based on chatting with Michiel, the reason is that that's how
> NLnet foundation (!= NLnet) have chosen to support projects like ours.

Thank you for clarifying that NLnet foundation != NLnet!

I would also like to clarify: Conservancy<->NLnet foundation isn't the
unneccessary association - I understand that the Conservancy intentionally
handles no funds, so someone else must.

Unneccessary association was refering to CrypTech<->Conservancy only,
both because of optics and because of the unclear purpose of the
Conservancy for CrypTech.

Leif Johansson wrote:
> > Guido Aben (secretary)
> > deployment of complex niche builds such as an Internet voting
> > system during national elections.
>
> I know Guido quite well. Guido is a sensible and very smart individual
> who takes opensource very seriously.

I appreciate that Conservancy staff is both well-known and well-liked,
I also don't doubt that Guido has done good things, and for many other
open source projects I think the Conservancy is a great resource!

But for CrypTech I consider it a showstopper that Guido chose to work
on an Internet voting project.

> Have you tried to reach out to Guido to try to find out if that passage
> is an indication of a serious interest or just an example of something
> that sounds complex and hard and looks good in a blurb?

I haven't reached out, because the incompatibility is too much in this case.

> they keep IPR in one organization and money in another to reduce the
> risk of patent litigation designed to "empty the coffers". Smart or
> not, realistic or not, this is the reason and I have never seen
> anything nefarious motive here.

I also do not see a nefarious motive there, quite the opposite.

I tried to say that if CrypTech seeks an entity to manage funds then
the practical purpose of a foundation focused on IPR management is
unclear to me, especially since CrypTech wisely uses a license which
makes any IPR disputes unlikely.

//Peter