[Cryptech Core] regarding speed grades and clock speeds

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at assured.se
Tue Nov 6 19:27:43 UTC 2018

Aloha!

Phil asked how FPGA speed grades would provide possible clock speeds for
the whole Cryptech FPGA design. I've done some builds just to see the
difference for the fmc_fix branch of Releng.

The version of the branch I have seems to lack some of the optimization
work and doesn't meet timing for speed grade -1 (which we are able to
do). But the results should at least give an indication the difference
in clock speeds reachable for a complete FPGA design with different
speed grades.

Speed grade -1:
Design statistics:
   Minimum period:  24.791ns (Maximum frequency:  40.337MHz)

Speed grade -2:
Design statistics:
   Minimum period:  11.538ns (Maximum frequency:  86.670MHz)

Speed grade -3:
Design statistics:
   Minimum period:  10.105ns (Maximum frequency:  98.961MHz)

Joachim Strömbergson
                               Assured AB