[Cryptech Core] about that agenda

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Tue Aug 1 20:05:51 UTC 2017

I think the big agenda from the tech side is what in a more corporate
environment would be called the "Requirements Doc" ("MRD", "PRD",
"URD", call it what you like based on your own work history).  I don't
propose to spend any significant amount of time writing an actual
document for this, but the basic questions that go into an MRD are
probably the right ones:

* Who's the target customer?
* What does the target customer require? (must-haves)
* What else would the target customer like? (nice-to-haves)

We've spent a long time focused on a hypothetical DNSSEC signer
customer, with "a demo box that will run OpenDNSSEC" as the
deliverable.  Other than speed of RSA (Pavel's working on that), we're
done with that one at this point.

RPKI is sort of waiting in the wings, but it's all RSA-2048, so it's
not worth pursuing until we have faster RSA, and in any case doesn't
really get us anything new on the Cryptech side.

So I think a big part of the technical discussion we need to have is:
what's next that's useful, new, and at least a bit different, whether
that's new use cases driving new algorithms, new use case driving new
hardware, whatever.

The reason I phrase it in terms of an MRD is that, like all
developer-driven projects, there's a risk of falling into a pattern
where we just work on whatever we think is important, without
bothering to find out what users want, which would be a mistake. :)

Response to Peter's message follows under separate cover.