[Cryptech Core] Alpha rev.03

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Thu May 26 21:27:41 UTC 2016

Hello!

Now that critical subsystems in Alpha rev.02 have been tested, it's time
to order a larger batch of boards for Berlin. Before that Fredrik and I
are going to do several changes and increment board revision number.

The most important change is form factor. The board was initially
designed to be compatible with Intel NUC (101.6 x 101.6 mm) platform.
That seemed like a cool choice at first, but turned out to be a
disappointing mistake later. Apparently Intel produced several
generations of that platform and they have minor mechanical differences,
but this isn't clearly documented anywhere. Another sad thing we
discovered is that despite Intel offers a huge NUC ecosystem catalog
with literally dozens of third-party cases, it's too difficult to buy
them if you need say 25 or 50 pieces.

Our idea was to switch to a Eurocard form factor (100 x 120 mm, aka
"3Ux120"). That would require minimal board changes and gives us a much
broader choice of cases.

Speaking of changes in schematics, we only edited the part related to
USB interfaces. Right now we have Tx & Rx LEDs connected to FTDI
transceivers, that should blink when there's activity on UARTs. We
overlooked the fine print in the datasheet saying, that those LEDs will
only work when there's an external configuration EEPROM available. We
are not going to have that EEPROM, so we removed the LEDs, because they
would be dead anyway. We also have 6-pin headers, that allow people to
design custom USB-UART transceivers instead of using on-board FTDI
chips. In rev.02 we forgot to expose +5.0V (Vbus) from USB connectors
through those headers, this will be fixed in rev.03 (Peter, hello :)

I think, the only unresolved issue is backup battery. When the
corresponding jumper is not inserted, there's still ~2.5V on Vbatt,
which must be leakage from the 3.3V rail. I'm afraid, we don't have
enough time right now to debug this, because production cycle is around
5 weeks and to be on time for Berlin we need to order boards no later
than on the forthcoming Monday.

There are no other essential changes besides relocation of some
connectors to accommodate the new form factor. Latest PCB project can be
download from https://yadi.sk/d/Ka-sOEf9s2K3w
Note, that you'll need to install free Altium viewer to open it. The
project itself is still called "rev.02", because we were too afraid to
remove all the files from it, rename them, then add all the files back
and re-compile. The archive contains a file named "rev.03.txt" with
details of what exactly was modified and "rev.03.pdf" with the latest
schematics.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov