[Cryptech Core] Alpha firmware packaging

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Jun 18 09:28:47 UTC 2016

Rob Austein wrote:
> * A firmware package, containing an FPGA bitstream and images of the
>   software running on the HSM's CPU (probably both .elf and .bin
>   format to support both ST-LINK and DFU without requiring objcopy,
>   possibly also including bootloader images); and

For usability I suggest making more of a distinction between the
different STM32 files. Users who have not done much embedded can
(and rightly so!) quickly get confused about the various file types.

> There isn't really any single obvious format for the firmware package.
> Requiring a separate firmware package for each host system seems
> wrong, as does the degenerate case of only allowing firmware upgrades
> from Debian-family systems, so I don't really want to tie the firmware
> packaging to any particular platform's native packaging system.

I'm not so sure there - having native packages for firmware means
that the end-user only needs to install a *single* package with their
native package manager, to get everything they need.

If there already is some infrastructure (scripts..?) to create the
various packages then I would favor packaging the firmware the same
way too.

> maze of configuration possibilities for openocd

I do not like OpenOCD at all, and I even was a maintainer for a while.

Please see if https://github.com/stef/pyrsp might work instead.

> include the scripts necessary to use the firmware package in the
> base software package or put those in a separate developer's package

I think include them in the base package. Fewer moving parts.

//Peter