[Cryptech Core] Introductory presentations at Berlin Workshop

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Tue Jul 5 15:17:49 UTC 2016

Presumably we will need some introductory presentations in Berlin
before diving into playing with the toys.  Several of us were kicking
ideas on this around and here's what we've come up with so far.

We probably need both:

* A brief song and dance about the project (not so much intro for
  walk-ins, as I don't think we have any of those, but
  bring-up-to-speed for people who have not been tracking closely or
  who want to know how we've been spending their contributions); and

* A short series of brief presentations about major hardware and
  software components of the Alpha.

Fredrik volunteered to talk about the overall hardware architecture.

Pavel volunteered to talk about the FPGA.

Paul volunteered to talk about the HSM software architecture, command
line interface, and RPC mechanism

I got volunteered to talk about PKCS #11 and the (other) client side
software, including how to configure.

Leif, by virtue of not being party to the conversation, got
volunteered to give the overall intro at the beginning.

We should figure out roughly how long all of this will take so we can
see if it fits the overall agenda, and, if not, adjust something.

We also need a slide or two to have up during the hands-on part of the
workshop itself: while we hope to have net, we can't bet the whole
workshop on it, so we need something self-contained rather than just
"go read this page on the wiki".  By same token, we should have backup
plan to serve software packages on LAN in the room if necessary (I
have one such plan and will bring kit for it, would not be a bad idea
for someone else to have such a plan as well given that Bad Things can
happen to kit while in transit).

Giving presos implies that we should have a projector :)

Projector discipline to avoid wasting audience time: all presos should
be ready in advance, preferably in PDF, and all loaded onto one
designated laptop which will drive the projector (so maybe one of you
folks based in Europe bring a spare if nobody wants their own tied
up).  Debug hookup of laptop to designated projector in advance.

Comments?  Suggestions?  What have we missed?  What should we change?