[Cryptech Core] proposed core reorganization

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 10 13:37:13 UTC 2015

Rob Austein wrote:
> > > If we're sure that this is the layout that we want, I can work with
> > > Paul to make it so.
> >
> > Why does this require administrative intervention?
> >
> > Only to create new repos which didn't exist previously? That's fine.
>
> Not just creating new ones.  Intent is to rename the ones we're
> keeping and delete the ones that we think are completely useless.

Yes, I think renames too are fine, but deleting non-empty ones
without having that history somewhere else?

> some feel that we should just keep spawning repositories ad nausium

Really? That doesn't make sense to me.

> and let the users figure it out,

That doesn't need to be case at all. Submodules and documentation
avoid any need for consumers to figure things out on their own.

> The decision to use ten zillion little repositories instead of one
> big one complicates this:

I disagree that the complication is of a magnitude that matters.
It's easy enough to move things also between repositories. It's just
not atomic.

> with a single repository, we could refactor the tree to heart's
> content and all the history would be visible if anybody really
> cared,

What just happened to transparency there? Of course history needs to
be preserved and visible. And multiple repos do not exclude that.

> whereas with the ten zillion separate repositories there's no
> history mechanism for rearrangements of the repository tree itself.

Sure there is, a single top level repo has each of the zillion repos
as submodule. History of that repo tracks rearrangements, even though
history of the zillion repos is not atomic.

> Such is life.

Such is life without a top level repo using submodules.

I'd suggest creating one (maybe even multiple levels) going forward.

> If necessary, we can put a verbatim read-only copy of the current
> mess at another URL.  I don't see much point, but it's harmless.

There are several points to it - one is transparency, another is
preserving history. I think it's a great idea.

Thanks

//Peter