[Cryptech Core] proposed core reorganization

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Tue Mar 10 13:18:11 UTC 2015

At Tue, 10 Mar 2015 01:38:40 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:

> Rob Austein wrote:
> > If we're sure that this is the layout that we want, I can work with
> > Paul to make it so.
>
> Why does this require administrative intervention?
>
> Only to create new repos which didn't exist previously? That's fine.

Not just creating new ones.  Intent is to rename the ones we're
keeping and delete the ones that we think are completely useless.

I realize that there's a split of opinion within core about repository
maintenance: some feel that we should just keep spawning repositories
ad nausium and let the users figure it out, others feel that we have a
responsibility to keep the repositories organized in a way that makes
the tree comprehensible to the users.  The decision to use ten zillion
little repositories instead of one big one complicates this: with a
single repository, we could refactor the tree to heart's content and
all the history would be visible if anybody really cared, whereas with
the ten zillion separate repositories there's no history mechanism for
rearrangements of the repository tree itself.  Such is life.

If necessary, we can put a verbatim read-only copy of the current mess
at another URL.  I don't see much point, but it's harmless.