[Cryptech Core] packaging and release engineering

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Thu Jun 25 20:23:05 UTC 2015

At Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:50:13 -0400, Paul Selkirk wrote:

> This is my first foray into building a .deb file, and there are many
> ways to do it, at different levels of abstraction. Furthermore, the
> bitstream is built with native Linux tools, but the software needs to be
> cross-compiled. Rather than trying to find the ideal, I started simple,
> with a script calling debuild calling the cross-compiler directly. This
> is maybe a little too simple, because the resulting .deb has a
> dependency on libc6 >= 2.21, but the version on the Novena is 2.13-38.

As Paul and I have already discussed, we probably want to head towards
a pbuilder environment for this (which I've done before, albeit not
for cross-compilation), but the debuild is a good start, since
pbuilder is basically a sanitizing wrapper around that in any case.

> The other missing pieces are
> - setting up reprepro on bikeshed(?)
> - doing the official package build there
> - signing the package

What I've done in the past has been to have a separate VM which runs
the full build environment (pbuilder, etc, and in our case also the
command line version of the tools to build bitstreams), build
everything there, feed the results into reprepro locally on the build
machine, then rsync the final result over to the public web server.  I
think that's the basic model we want here too.

None of this is particularly difficult, just a bit tedious to set up.
Paul already knows where to find my scripts.