[Cryptech Core] arm

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sun Jan 11 09:45:11 UTC 2015

Peter Stuge wrote:
> Randy Bush wrote:
>> bunnie sez the board desiners in singapore and taiwan
>
> Why wouldn't Cryptech design the board itself?

We don't have the resources and we also want to add more diversity (i.e.
people from other parts of the world etc). FredrikT will be driver for
the board development though. And if you can contribute with your
knowledge it would be great.

>> we think we want o no or minimal magic blobs because it's inside
>> the security boundary
>
> "no" doesn't exist if the processor is capable of booting from an
> external storage.

So then we don't. The mbed system is able to boot from internal Flash
memory and then read in code, data from external storage. And we can
build the mbed boo code ourselves. But this is one area you are the real
expert.

>> coretex
>
> Please specify? Cortex spans from Cortex-M0 at 50MHz clock with a
> few Kbyte of builtin flash and RAM with no external memory bus, to
> Cortex-A15 at GHz with Gbyte of external flash and RAM. The larger
> CPU family the more will be included in the physical component. You
> may all already know that ARM (the company) is like a commercial
> Cryptech for CPUs; they make no actual components, only processor
> descriptions which are licensed to the component companies.

Which device type (M0..M7 or Ax) is yet to be decided. And will be
decided based on the requirement spec. As little and with a little
peripherals and extras besides what we have as hard requirements as
possible.

What we know so far we need:
(1) Two USB interaces (I assume 2.0 Full Speed)

(2) Room for code and data enough to run Cryptlib (possibly just the
parts needed for the use cases), command handler and HAL, drivers needed
to talk to the rest of the board including the FPGA.

(3) Enough compute performance to meet some sort of performance,
response targets (yet to be specified).

>> so you have clue, advice, ...  or pointers to where we might find
>> same?
> Maybe I can contribute some advice, but I need to know requirements.

Good. We are working on them and should appear on the trac wiki. The end
result should be a functional diagram with BOM for the high primary
components. The board designer will then need to help us adding minor
components needed to implement power supply, electrical interfaces etc.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se