[Cryptech Core] proposed core reorganization

Paul Selkirk paul at psgd.org
Tue Feb 24 17:04:15 UTC 2015

Now that we've stabilized the EIM code in the 'test' tree, I've been
working on how/where to move it in the 'core' tree. I recently committed
a possible organization in 'user/paul/core', and would appreciate some
feedback on it.

We have several kinds of cores in the 'core' tree:
- those that do something useful (hash, cipher, rng)
- host-fpga communication channels (uart, i2c, eim, coretest)
- platform/project specific (novena[i2c], novena_i2c_simple, novena_eim)

To the extent possible, I've separated the EIM files into a generic
top-level core, alongside uart and i2c. (One could argue about how
generic these communication channels are, given that we have exactly one
platform that uses uart, and one that uses i2c and eim.)

This leaves a single novena core directory, which builds both the i2c
and eim projects. Note this means two top-level verilog files, two
Makefiles, two .xise files, two .ucf files, which is unavoidably ugly.

The Makefiles or project files have to know about every core to include
in the project, but the actual mux operation happens in core_selector
(hash_selector, etc), which is controlled by ifdefs in the code. I find
this extremely ugly, but I wasn't able to get a clean design where I
define say USE_CORE_SHA1 in say novena_toplevel.v, and have it control
synthesis in hash_selector.v. With ISE, I had to switch to "manual
compile order", but reordering files in the Makefile didn't work at all
- apparently each file in the command-line build is a separate
compilation unit. But I digress.

The thing that's missing from my tree is uart and the Terasic project.
Joachim buries the project-specific stuff under
coretest_hashes/toolruns, because coretest_hashes.v is, at the same
time, a generic mux and a project-specific file (with specific
connections to the uart and the hash cores). As I discovered when I
started working on i2c, I needed an i2c-specific version of
coretest_hashes.v. My new stuff instantiates the communications channel
in the top-level, so at least removes that from the mux. But the
question remains:

Do we want explicit top-level cores for each platform (core/novena,
core/terasic, core/alpha)? Or do we maybe want to bury the
platform-specific stuff under say the communications channel core (e.g.
core/eim/toolruns/xilinx/novena, core/i2c/toolruns/xilinx/novena,
core/uart/toolruns/quartus/terasic_c5g)?

I'd like to get this resolved soon, so I can push this stuff into core,
remove the embarrassing novena_eim core, shift novena_i2c_simple to test
(or remove it entirely), update the build instructions, and generally
tidy up.

				paul