[Cryptech Core] multiple offers...

Jacob jacob at edamaker.com
Thu Apr 30 11:43:17 UTC 2015

Leif,

Some comments re the 2 offers:

1. During the majority of HW projects dev, there is a clear separation
between the Design and the Layout tasks - different skills and groups.
Are the 2 vendors willing to split their quote so that Cryptech can go
along with just one task, namely Design (+ test, integration etc.)?

One advantage to such a separation, in addition to costs, is that route
will force the circuit/schematic designer to fully document his design
intent so we end up with a matched schematic to layout ( I saw many
cases where companies did both schematic and layout in house, and during
the layout phase the design engineer asked Layout to add just a small
resistor here and a small capacitor there - on the fly - without
spending the time to follow proper procedures of generating a schematic
ECO (Engineering Change Order) and feed the new netlist into the layout).

2. Neither offer talks about Signal Integrity analysis. The DDR3 traces
must be done with the help of such tools to ascertain proper topology
and trace characteristics.
Bitsim says that they will charge for any extra tool that is needed, so
they may charge for the SI tools - very expensive proposition. Mentor
licensing is finely grained, and having mentor Expedition license does
not mean having Mentor Hyperlynx license for SI work. And the Hyperlynx
license, in turn, has many sub-licenses (at cost) for each and every
small feature in the program.

3. Who will pay for design re-spin if there are flaws or missing
functionality in the finished design? Cryptech strength is not in
electronic design, but it has the responsibility to approve and accept
the design made by the chosen vendor. I suggest to move more
responsibility to the vendor, by having Cryptech just specifying
functional requirements desired from the board and let the vendor bear
the responsibility to achieve that.

Jacob